Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Back from vacation!

So things are a little nutsy here. School ended, Spence and I went on a whirlwind trip to Hershey Park (4 moms, 5 kids) for one night, I got a stomach thing on the way home (yuck) and then we went on vacation for a week to the Williamsburg, VA area. Then we came home, tried to catch up, started physical therapy (oy, my aching back) and somehow we are now in the throws of semi-serious househunting. How that happened is a whole other story. So, we're back but things are just a little crazy and I can barely look at my house. It is in that state where I look around and can't figure out where to start so I just don't. That feeling will pass - hopefully soon! And then I look around the house with the idea of putting it on the market and then I have to go take some Rolaids. I just bought a new container without checking the seal which, of course, is open so let's add one more thing to the list - "153. Return Rolaids to Safeway." Talked to a mortgage guy today and am completely bewildered by how much money these people are "willing" to lend you. Completely ludicrous. I'm thinking "Yeah, and we just won't eat or cloth ourselves for 30 years. Thanks." OK, rant almost over. Don't even get me started on the DC real estate market. Well, how about some lovely vacation photos? Great idea!

We vacationed with my folks a lot last year and we thought that a vacation with Mark's Mom would be in order this year. She graciously exchanged a timeshare week and flew in from Arizona for a week in Williamsburg. I love Williamsburg and hadn't been in awhile so I was psyched. I also wasn't too sure how Spence would like it. Seriously, how much history can a five year old really dig? I figured we'd do a little bit and then spend lots of time at the pool and doing kiddo friendly stuff. It turns out the coolest part of the trip was how much Spence got into the history stuff. We spent a full day at Jamestown (that's the little settler on the left), two full days at Williamsburg and a full day at Yorktown. We threw in a bonus day at Busch Gardens - hey, we all needed a break and Anheuser-Busch is nice enought to let military folks in for free! WOO HOO!!

Here is the young patriot with some friends he met along the way.
The guy in the middle put on his shades, too.

There is a cool thing at Williamsburg called "Revolutionary City" where every afternoon there are characters that act out scenes. While we were there the Declaration of Independence was just written and was read from the balcony of the Capitol. Then, Benedict Arnold showed up (boo) to inform us the British had taken over control of Williamsburg. Fortunately, there were brave, young patriots about who could protect the city from the "Griddish" (the kid was cracking us up).














After protecting the city, we joined General Washington for his march to Yorktown! Spence says his favorite part of the trip was the battlefield at Yorktown. He tried to run up and down every hill of it!

That's about it. I'm going to throw in a couple more of my favorite pics. More on the househunting later!

5 comments:

Cicada said...

You're back! Yay!

Great vacation pics! That looks like it was a great trip. That Spence is sure cute!!

Yeah, I'll be chewing rolaids all the time too when it is time to sell and show my house. But I'm sure you'll do fine! I so agree about what banks are willing to lend to people. It is scary. There's a person I know who borrowed all she could and they can't even sniff at making their house payments now. Sad.

And, hey, thanks for your comments on my leaving my job-- that was encouraging! Glad you're back...

itsjustshannon said...

Glad to see you back as well!!!
Sounds like its been a busy but fun few weeks!

The pictures are great and your son is adorable! Too cool that he got into the history part!

~Mel said...

I've very happy to see a new post!!! Yah!!!

I'm glad you had a nice vacation seeing as how you're about to go thru the house-hunting stress.

And Spence is adorable in every picture! I really like the one of the two of you and the one of him signing his name.

When you get a moment, fill us in on the house hunting...don't stay away too long!

ChristyR said...

How did I miss these recent posts?

I quadruple what everyone says-So glad you are back! Nice to see all the photos. You look great and Spence is looking great. Growing fast! All of your travels-wow!

Love Ali's saying! Have fun with your house hunting! It's amazing up there. Good luck and happy to hear you'd like to stay in the area. I will see you again!

Chris said...

Great pics, and so nice to see your blog updated!