Monday, July 31, 2006

The Big Day

Today is the day I am officially the proud owner of a kindergartner. Not just any kindergartener but this big kid with an amount of self-confidence I didn't know he possessed. He could barely eat this morning, he was so excited to go. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I kept waiting for that moment when he would realize what was going on and just lose it. Didn't happen.

We walked to the bus stop, just four houses down, and when the bus came he just hopped on. His bus driver is terrific and told him where to sit. She told me she likes to keep the little ones up front near her and I said, "THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" (suffering a little bus anxiety). So we followed him to school just to make sure everything was o.k. He hopped off the bus and started walking inside and I yelled to him and he turned around with this look like, "Oh yeah, she said she would follow me to school. Ok, bye." He waved and he was gone. That's it. So he comes home and I said did someone help you find your classroom and he said, "No, I knew where it was." Well, alrighty then. Some of you warned me this would happen but I guess you just don't believe it until it happens.

It's a bittersweet kind of day. More sweet than bitter. I remember being completely sleep deprived when he was an infant and thinking this day would never come and, quite honestly at the time, thought it couldn't come soon enough. And now it's here and I wonder if I wished too much away or didn't enjoy it enough but all in all I think we did o.k. I've struggled with my choice to stay at home, pretty much from day one, and today it became really all good with me. It was worth it. Pure and simple. I always thought I was that mom who would be dancing around the house when he went off to elementary school and really, not so much. I think maybe in another week I'll start tappin' my foot a bit.

And what's not to like about school? I don't remember any of my teachers looking like this:
Seriously, how cute is she? I took this picture at his open house on friday. And check out his new do. Daddy took him to the "big man barbershop" for an Army man haircut. No more Cartoon Cuts (WOO HOO!!! There is much rejoicing!) So that's really about it. Monday's are half days in Fairfax County so tomorrow is his first full day - 7:55 to 3:12 (not 3:15, not 3:10 - 3:12, that's when the bus arrives.) It's a long day for a little man. We'll see what kind of spirit he is in by the end of the week!

13 comments:

ChristyR said...

Oh Vanessa..good for you! Way to stay strong! What great journaling for that scrapbook page and your little dude is a hot one! Not in a perverted kind of way just wait till he gets older kind of way! So cute. And that you know your foot is gonna be tapping-awesome news! It's your life too! Congrats to Spence on his first day.

itsjustshannon said...

Congrats to him and so proud of you! Sounds like Mom did great too! It really is exciting for them isn't it. Drew will be 1st grader and Kaylee will be my Kindergarter. Very excited for them but it is bittersweet cause she's my baby.

Awesome day for you all!

~Mel said...

WOW!!!! Kindergarten starts early in VA! JULY!?!?!?

Okay enough of my shock - V, he looks adorable and he looks like he was ready to take the day head on. Great job, Mom. I'm sure it was hard yet quite fulfilling too.

Katie said...

Oh V, I'm right behind ya. DD starts K in a couple of weeks and DS finally starts preschool twice a week...but I really do think I will be jumping up and down and celebrating (only when I am completely out of sight of course). I can't wait to have a little time to myself.

It is so nice to hear you say that you are so glad that you stayed home with Spence. I've been struggling with that one too...I am sure it will all be worth it.

Chris said...

He definitely does look excited about school in those pictures. Has putting your baby onto the bus gotten any easier for you?

Cicada said...

Such cute pictures, love the bus one, and yeah, his teacher is adorable. She has that perfect kinder teacher look! What a cutie Spence is. Hope his first week doesn't tire him out too much... but even if it does, it will be temporary (or so I've heard!)

They don't start school here until September!!

ChristyR said...

umm so you've kind of had some time on your hands..how's scrap room...how's scrappin'...how's bloggin'?

ChristyR said...

okay i've bitten my tongue long enough!

what's going on in Vanessa's world?

Chris said...

It's been almost a month since you've updated your blog. What's the news?

ChristyR said...

I'm gonna buy you a shirt that says........................................................................................................................................................................................Seriously, me, blog?

Cicada said...

Vaneeeeeessa...where aaaaaaaaaaare youuuuuuuuuuu??????

ChristyR said...

i guess we just have to beg..

please
please
please
please
please
please

no?
please
please
please
please
please

Chris said...

Maybe if we all ganged up and each agreed to send her an email every hour she would get sick of having her in-box flooded and she would post. Want to try?